[LFG] 27th South of England LFG meeting: Saturday, 9 February 2019, Room 4426, SOAS main building, Russell Square, London

Mary Dalrymple mary.dalrymple at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 02:24:31 UTC 2019

The 27th South of England LFG meeting, a student-oriented meeting for presentations and discussion of various topics from an LFG perspective, will be held on Saturday, 9 February 2019 in Room 4426, SOAS, London. The list of presentations is below. More information can be found at the main SE-LFG site: sg.sg/se-lfg (or https://sites.google.com/site/selfgmeetings/home/). We look forward to welcoming you to the meeting!

Meeting agenda:

11:00-12:00: Oliver Bond, Surrey: Clause level features

12:00-12:30: Stephen Jones, Oxford: title to be announced

12:30: Lunch

2:00-3:00: Ryo Otoguro, Waseda University: Formulating controller selection in non-canonical agreement
Based on the empirical findings on a range of agreement patterns found in the literature, I argue that distinct principles are working behind agreement controller selection depending on the characteristics of clause structure across languages. I particularly focus on so-called proxy agreement and left-edge agreement and show how controller selection for those non-canonical agreement can be formulated in LFG.

3:00-3:30: Alex Biswas, Oxford: French verbal periphrasis: composé and surcomposé tenses
An analysis of stacked periphrases found in French which makes use of m-structure to encode the collocational requirements of each component of the periphrase. Unlike many previous analyses of periphrasis, the morphological component still produces single words, but encodes m-structure constraints on those words which describe the relationship between the auxiliary and lexical elements of the periphrase.