[LFG] LFG Bushwalk Thoughts

Avery Andrews Avery.Andrews at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 8 11:05:33 UTC 2019

I would be interested in hearing from people who have organized LFG bushwalks, been on a significant number of them, or who have strong opinions for some other reason.  The problem is the weather; it will be winter, and Canberra is colder than other places in Australia where LFG has been held.  You can expect a daily high between 8 and 12C, surprisingly tolerable if the sun is out and it is not windy, but it can be pretty bad otherwise (Scandinavians will have no problems, I have heard winter in Canberra described as 'a cabin summer in Sweden', but I recall people complaining about the weather in Brisbane in 1998; Canberra is considerably chillier).

The two main possibilities for an outdoor activity are:

1) The Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, which has paths of various lengths, animal enclosures and a pond-system with a hide for water-birds (and a very modest admission charge).  A point against this is that it is one of the options for the ICHL excursions on Wednesday, and outdoor-preferring people who are going to both ICHL and LFG might want to do something different.

2) A 'real' bushwalk in the Namadgi reserve, for which the best candidate is probably the Yankee Hat walk, which has nice views of plains and mountains, and a rock painting at the end (same path out and back).  This would be warmer than Tidbinbilla on a nice day, and also than the other reasonable length walks, being more open and at a lower altitude (but would be a bit of an ordeal if there was rain and strong wind ...).

If the weather is bad, it would probably best to forget about either of these, and break up into smaller groups to go to some of the local museums, or a shorter outdoor activity such a walk in Mulligan's Flat, a reserve much closer to town with a focus on conservation of local plants and animals.

Avery Andrews, for LFG-19 Organizing Committee