[LFG] LFG Bulletin, March 2019

Agnieszka Patejuk agnieszka.patejuk at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:27:37 UTC 2019

March 2019

** Please send bulletin items to me by email **
** < LFG.bulletin "at" gmail "dot" com >**

Next issue: July 2019

CONTENTS

1. LFG19 at the ANU, Canberra
2. Teach-in on using Lexical-Functional Grammar (LFG) in diachronic linguistics
3. "Tokens of Meaning: Papers in Honor of Lauri Karttunen":
Festschrift for Lauri Karttunen
4. Drafts for comments
5. Recent LFG work
6. Online resources
7. Boilerplate

*

1. LFG19 at the ANU, Canberra

>From Wayan Arka:

Time is fast approaching for LFG19 (8–10 July 2019) in Canberra, which
is organised in conjunction with ICHL24 (1–5 July 2019). There will be
a workshop on syntax and morphology interface on the last day of LFG19
(10 July 2019) and a one-day teach-in on using LFG in diachronic
linguistics in between ICHL24 and LFG19 (6 July 2019).

The registration is now open for all these events; please visit the
webpages for further information: LFG19
(http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/lfg-2019/), ICHL24
(http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/ichl24/), and LFG Teach-in
(http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/lfg-2019/teach-in/).

2. Teach-in on using Lexical-Functional Grammar (LFG) in diachronic linguistics

>From Nigel Vincent:

Australian National University, Canberra

Kersti Börjars, Louisa Sadler and Nigel Vincent

This teach-in is aimed largely at two audiences: (i) those interested
in analysis of linguistic change but not yet familiar with LFG and
(ii) those who are familiar with LFG, but not with how it can be used
to analyse linguistic change. At the same time some of the material
covered will be new and potentially of interest to those who already
have some familiarity with work in both areas. The day will start with
a choice of two sessions where participants can choose whichever best
complements their background.

The course is organized in conjunction with ICHL24
(http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/ichl24/) and the
Lexical-Functional Grammar Conference 2019
(http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/lfg-2019/) and is free of
charge. For students who need credits to transfer to their home
institution, suitable assessment can be arranged.

Programme

9–10:45 a) a brief introduction to LFG (Kersti Börjars) b) an
introduction to relevant aspects of linguistic change (Nigel Vincent)

10:45–11 Break

11–12 The development of c-structure (Kersti Börjars)

12–13 Lunch

13–14  Functional and categorial change in the emergence of verbs
(Louisa Sadler)
14–15  COMP and complementizers in change (Nigel Vincent)

15–15:15 Break

15:15–17 Bring your data
A opportunity for participants to briefly describe a diachronic data
set that particularly interests them and have a discussion of ways of
approaching it within LFG.

If you are interested in participating, please contact ICHL24
<ichl24anu at gmail.com>. If you have questions, contact one of the
presenters.

3. "Tokens of Meaning: Papers in Honor of Lauri Karttunen":
Festschrift for Lauri Karttunen

>From Tracy Holloway King:

Title: Tokens of Meaning: Papers in Honor of Lauri Karttunen
Editors: Cleo Condoravdi and Tracy Holloway King
Year: 2019 (in press)
Publisher: CSLI Publications
https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/T/bo45997447.html

Introduction (Martin Kay)
Major Works by Lauri Karttunen

Part I Semantics
Indefinites and Anaphora: Pivotal Problems in the History of Semantics
and Pragmatics (Barbara H. Partee)
>From Missing Persons to Speech Act Participants (Auli Hakulinen and
Lea Laitinen)
Accept New Substitutes: An Analysis of Reanalysis (Laurence R. Horn)
A Few Words To Do With Multiword Expressions (Paul Kay and Laura A. Michaelis)
Liminal Until (Cleo Condoravdi and Itamar Francez)
Talking about (Quasi-)Higher-Order Uncertainty (Daniel Lassiter)
Surprise for Lauri Karttunen (Floris Roelofsen)
How not to Project the Satisfaction Theory of Projection (on
Karttunen) Or: Who has a Proviso Problem? (Itamar Francez)

Part II Meaning and Reasoning
Natural Language Inference Using an Ontology (Marisa Ferrara Boston,
Richard Crouch, Erdem Ozcan, and Peter Stubley)
>From Language to Reasoning: Going from Y to X in Many Dimensions
(Annie Zaenen, Danny Bobrow, Cleo Condoravdi, Lucas Champollion, and
Liz Coppock)
Integrating Implicative Commitments (Valeria de Paiva and Gerard de Melo)

Part III Syntax and Beyond
Sentence Embedding Predicates, Factivity and Subjects (Pranav Anand,
Jane Grimshaw, and Valentine Hacquard)
Multiple Center-embedding in Spoken English (Fred Karlsson)
Notes on Finnish Nonfinite Clauses (Paul Kiparsky)
Formal Aspects of Underspecified Features (Ronald M. Kaplan)

Part IV Finite State Methods and Grammars
A History and Overview of the Kleene Programming Language (Kenneth R. Beesley)
Simplified Two-level Morphophonology (Kimmo Koskenniemi)
Tokenization and Morphological Analysis for Malagasy (Mary Dalrymple,
Maria Liakata, and Lisa Mackie)
Urdu Morphology and Beyond: Why Grammars Should not Live without
Finite-State Methods (Tina Boegel, Miriam Butt, and Tracy Holloway
King)
Optimal Kornai-Karttunen Codes for Restricted Autosegmental
Representations (Anssi Yli-Jyra)
Formal Verification in Optimality Theory (Mans Hulden)
Truth or dare (Andras Kornai)
Finite-state Methods Featuring Semantics (Tim Fernando)
What are Grammars Good for? Reflections on Twenty Years of Grammatical
Framework (Aarne Ranta)
Types as Learnable Cognitive Resources in PyTTR (Robin Cooper)

4. Drafts for comments

'Drafts for comments' offers bulletin readers the opportunity to
submit information about drafts or projects on which they would like
to receive comments from the community. This brings work in progress
to the attention of the community and plays some of the role that

Please submit basic article/project information and (a) a URL if the
item is available online or else (b) your contact email.

5. Recent LFG work

Send details of your recent work to < LFG.bulletin "at" gmail "dot" com >

5.1 Publications

Schwarze, Christoph (2018). 'Word formation in LFG-based Layered
Morphology and Two-Level Semantics'. In: Bonami, Olivier, Gilles Boyé,
Georgette Dal, Hélène Giraudo and Fiammetta Namer (eds.), The lexeme
in descriptive and theoretical morphology. Berlin: Language Science
Press. 487–508. DOI:10.5281/zenodo.1407023.

5.2 Conference Proceedings

LFG conference papers are available electronically at:
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/LFG/

6. Online resources

LFG website:
http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/external/LFG/

International Lexical Functional Grammar Association:
https://sites.google.com/site/ilfgalfg/home

More about LFG:
http://www.sas.rochester.edu/lin/sites/asudeh/LFG/more.txt

Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/lfgpage

7. Boilerplate

The boilerplate (standard text) which previously appeared at the end
of every bulletin can be accessed at:
http://www.sas.rochester.edu/lin/sites/asudeh/LFG/more.txt

The LFG website also serves much of the same function as the
boilerplate section.