Reply to : Latvian language law

roland.breton roland.breton at fnac.net
Wed May 15 07:29:10 UTC 2002

Dear Harold,
Russian speaking population in Latvia is mostly the descent of Russian
colonizers sent by Stalin and his successors to settle in the houses, flats
and farms of the Latvians sent in deportation to Siberia or killed on the
ground. I wonder the Westerners are helping these people who were taking the
place of autochtonous population for half a century in the oppressed society
of Latvia and are still refusing to consider themselves as a minority, but
are wanting to continue to dominate the country. I wonder how the latvians
have been keen enough to not expell them from their country. These Russians
want to stay there, so they must learn and use the language of the country
they prefer to reside, as any immigrant has to do everywhere. If not, the
solution is to go back in the marvelous land of their ancestors, so rich, so
powerful and so civilizerd. We, in the West are too much indulgent or blind
about the Russian colonization, oppression, persecution and extermination of
Baltic peoples and the eradication of their languazges and cultures for
fifty years. We must take the defense of the Balts and not at all of their
oppressors.
-- Roland J.-L. Breton, Prof. Emerit. Geogr. Univ. Paris 8 (Vincennes-St
Denis)