(2) International Network for Educational Linguistics as a Discipline (INFELAD)

Jane Freeland jane at freelanj.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 8 18:50:08 UTC 2002

Hi
Yes, I did wonder when the comments would start! Especially as my first
reaction was one of doubt, since Applied Linguistics, at least here in GB,
seems to have a strong educational focus, and I couldn't see what
differences the new discipline / interest grouping had in view.  So I
actually needed answers to questions 1) and 2) and found your additional
comments helpful, thanks.

I'm particularly attracted to two of the points you highlight: the potential
open-ness of discussion lists to views from participants at all "levels" (?)
of educational systems; and the potential of such a grouping to air
'non-Western' views - very much needed in the area of language policy and
planning for indigenous languages - in which I work - where Western notions
of what constitutes a language, how to conceptualise its revitalisation,
maintenance, etc., seem to prevail, and are difficult to contest, since much
of the process of subordination and downgrading of these languages has been
justified within precisely these western frameworks of analysis.
Consequently, revitalisation, revival, etc., run the risk of simply
compensating for this downgrading, in the same terms...

But, in relation to these two points:  we'd perhaps need to address a
potential conflict between the network's being 'for academic / professional
purposes' (as you put it) and its being open to different perspectives from
within education systems.  I'd also highlight the need to conciously
consider discussion strategies that take account of *all kinds* of
difference in educational systems across the world (ideological goals,
internal political structures, organizational assumptions, etc.), especially
if this aims to be an international network promoting meaningful discussion
across educational systems.

You asked for comments from members of different Applied Linguistics
Associations.  I'm a member of BAAL, which is now developing Special
Interest Groups (SIGs) in response to the enormous spread of Applied
Linguistics these days.  The goal of the SIGs is to enable people to come
together around particular areas of interest with people who share these
interests, encouraging transdisciplinary contact where possible - something
else we should think about? - without becoming overly 'cliquey' and losing
the sense of how SIGs fit into and could influence the whole Applied
Linguistics field.  My (relatively short) experience with one of these
(ethnography of language, which has been 'around' in some sense for about 2
years) suggests that this is a multi-faceted, baggy, sort of process. By
dint of theorising around our practices, trying both to "focus" (in Le Page
and Tabouret-Keller's sense) and keeping boundaries open, we may or may not
end up defining a new field, but we are certainly enriching our work. It now
includes a web-site and discussion list, two face-to-face seminars one of
whose most valuable features is that, among friends, we have been able to
essay of ideas we might otherwise feel cautious about expressing, a
symposium at the annual conference, shortly to be followed by another.

I would see an informal discussion network of this kind as perhaps a first
stage in such a process, which would help us begin to feel our way towards a
definition of our differences from and links with the field as a whole -
which I think is necessarily 'emergent' over time.

That's probably enough for now - I look forward to further discussions

Jane Freeland
(Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Portsmouth, UK
Visiting Research Fellow, University of Southampton, UK)
3, Greville Road
Shirley
Southampton SO15 5AW
Tel: +44 (0)23 80496211