(5) International Network for Educational Linguistics as a Discipline (INFELAD)

Francis M Hult fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 16 18:08:54 UTC 2002

I think we do ourselves a disservice by thinking in terms of an
'either-or' distinction.  We should take our cue from Halliday, who has
stated of applied linguistics that it should be considered
'transdisciplinary' rather than 'inter- or multidisciplinary'
"...because the latter terms seem to me to imply that one still retains
the disciplines as the locus of intellectual activity, while building
bridges between them, or assembling them into a collection; whereas the
real alternative is to supercede them, creating new forms of activity
which are thematic rather than disciplinary in their orientation."  The
same holds true if we are to find educational linguistic inquiry to be of
serious value.  To place it within borders will only stifle what we can
do with it.  While the themes we address are linguistic and educational,
we should by no means consider ourselves limited by either of these
domains as disciplines.

By the way, I am sorry if I missed the first exchanges of this debate
but I am curious, 'educational linguistics,' what your area/context is
(who are you, where are you working, what is your background, etc.).

Best,
Francis M. Hult
Educational Linguistics Doctoral Program
University of Pennsylvania
Graduate School of Education

P.S. The above citation is from Halliday, M.A.K. (2001).  New ways of
meaning: The challenges to applied linguistics.  In A. Fill and P.
Muhlhausler (eds) The Ecolinguistics Reader: Language Ecology and
Environment(pp. 175-202).  New York: Continuum.