Quebec Seeks to Ease Divisiveness

Survey Coordinator Brazil survey_coord_brazil at sil.org
Mon Apr 14 15:56:19 UTC 2003

It's neat to see an article that eloquently states what I've observed, too.
I was in Montreal, Quebec, and Ottawa a couple of years ago, and I found the
English speakers of my mother-in-law's age quite anti-French.  The rest of
the world was just getting on with the business of getting along with life.
However, this congeniality might prove to be French's undoing.  How long can
societal bilingualism last?  Isn't it kind of hard to sustain for more than
3 generations?

Stan Anonby