Quebec Seeks to Ease Divisiveness

veblen at uwm.edu veblen at uwm.edu
Tue Apr 15 03:10:31 UTC 2003

Yes -- and let's not forget that a substantial infrastructure of language laws
has done wonders in consolidating the place of French in Quebec, particularly
in the Montreal region where it was most threatened by the status of English as
the language of work and by the anglicization of immigrants. Of those recent
immigrants to Montreal (since 1986) who adopt either English or French as their
language spoken in the home (linguistic transfer), the vast majority now choose
French. This constitutes a sea change from the past and, among a series of
factors, augurs well for the future of French.

Marc Levine
Director, Center for Canadian-American Policy Studies
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee