types of diglossia/bilingualism/multilingualism

Christina Paulston paulston+ at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 16 13:55:53 UTC 2003

Stan, I think you have to distinguish what the larger unit is within which
you find bilinualism, a canadian province, an indian reservation in the US,
a nation-state, an empire, etc. - many of then have different patterns. For
the last 100 years, we have typically talked about bi/multilingualism within
nation-states. Belgium and Switzerland are always mentioned in this context,
classical territorial state bilingualism BUT with many monolingual speakers.
Whether Belgium lasts is another question (see Kas Deprez), and I
increasingly see reports (and complaints) that many Swiss prefer to be
bilingual in MT + English.
    Now there are interesting signs, in Europe at least, of increasing
regional nationalism heralding a minority language, Basque lands, Corsica,
Saami, Catalunya in spades, etc. which spell the need for
reconceptualization of some of our theories on lge maintenance/shift. See
e.g. Sue Wright's forthcoming book on LPP.
    So, Stan your gadfly questions are much needed - keep them coming. :-)
Christina