Britain: NO LOVE, DEARS

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 15 17:50:27 UTC 2003

Luvs,

I think it's actually lower middle class women, those who are most likely
to become teachers, also.  It's been fun for me in the last 8 years,
incidentally, to be in an area (Delaware Valley)  where people get
addressed with exactly these terms--love, hon(ey), dear, babe; and from
men to men: buddy, pal, boss.  A not-young woman cashier addressed me at
Home Depot thus: "That'll be $55.23, Babe."  (If I had use this
reciprocally with her, I think I might be in trouble, but I'm not sure.)

So I'd be surprised if the Bristol city government will have any success
legislating this; more likely, instead of "Sir and Madam" they'll get
"no-naming" and "no-title-ing"

Hal S.