Native Nations, Native Voices

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 19 15:15:04 UTC 2003

Forwarded from: Gordon Bronitsky
Please respond directly to him at <g.bronitsky at att.net>

    Over 500 Native Nations, each with its own language and culture.  These
are the Nations which were encountered by the first Europeans to enter North
America.  Yet now Native languages are under threat everywhere, due to
Euro-American educational policies, disease, and the virtual omnipresence of
English language television.  Some languages are extinct--from Guale to
Esalen, from Eyak to Timucuan.  Others are only spoken by a handful of
elderly individuals.

    Yet throughout Native America, a small but growing body of writers are
giving new voice to Native languages, using their own languages to write
about and confront the world they live in, the world of the Twenty First
Century.  Often unknown outside their own communities, such writers have
much to say to all of us.

    I am working with the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center of Albuquerque New
Mexico to create Native Nations, Native Voices--a festival to honor
contemporary Native language writers. To honor Native language authors, ten
writers will be invited to participate in a three-day festival.  Writers
will read from their works in their own languages; English translations will
be made available to the audience at the option of each writer.  A special
effort will be made to include and honor high school and college authors in
Native languages, for they are the future of languages.  Selected writers
will represent as broad a range of languages and styles as possible.

    I would welcome any suggestions anyone might have about

1.  Native language writers--prose, poetry, drama--who might be interested
in participating and

2.  possible sources of funding

    Naturally I would be happy to provide more information or answer any
questions you might have.  I would also welcome any leads to Native language
theater companies.  And I would also like to sign up for the listserv.
    Thank you.

                    Yours,

                    Gordon Bronitsky, PhD
                    Bronitsky and Associates