Does language prestige correlate with community size?

Stan & Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Fri Apr 2 14:37:56 UTC 2004

Thank you for all those interesting points and examples!  They clearly show
there are various situations where people learn minority languages.

I see that my observations do not hold universally, but I still think they
may apply to the sociolinguistic stance I've seen in Canada, Brazil and
Africa; language shift is from smaller, less prestigious languages to
larger, more prestigious ones.  People belonging to the larger, more
prestigious groups, rarely learn the languages of the smaller, less
prestigious groups.  The languages you mention are very interesting, but
their sociolinguistic millieu is different than the one I had in mind.

Re the examples you give of the imperial elites, I don't think those reasons
exist anymore, and they don't lead to shift, displacing the language of the
hearth and home.

The languages you mention that, though they have fewer speakers, are higher
prestige, include:
Greek, Hebrew (both still prestige languages today in some circles)
Persian
Chinese in Japan
French (Jews in Morocco today speak French for prestige reasons; many
Anglo-Saxons under the Normans did the same; but anglophones in Canada
rarely learn French, because in Canada French has lower prestige than
English)
English

The examples you gave of Irish, Greek outside of Greece, Hebrew outside of
Israel, Chinese in Japan, Welsh, and Irish, well, I don't see them having
that strong of an impact.  In a few years, the learners will forget these
languages, just like I've forgotten most of my Hebrew, because this language
learning has almost no effect on the communities in which they live.

Re Guarani in Paraguay, I don't think it's a case of the majority Spanish
speakers switching to the minority Guarani language.  It's more like most
Paraguayos learn Guarani in the home, and Guarani remains a hearth and home
language - a diglossia situation, as almost nobody is literate in Guarani.
I think that rule of crass materialism in Paraguay holds that Guarani
speakers are bilingual in Spanish, not vice versa.

Stan Anonby