Guarani

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 15:14:45 UTC 2004

Hello Stan,
just a note on your final comment on Guaraní.
Your final comment: "I think that rule of crass
materialism in Paraguay holds that Guarani
> speakers are bilingual in Spanish, not vice versa"
is not quite accurate. Paraguay is in fact the odd
case where the indigenous language has been adopted as
a national language (though certainly a "B" language,
in diglossic terms) by the non-indigenous population.
Ethnic Guaranies are a distinct minority, and the
relatively few monolingual Guarani speakers are the
most marginalized of Paraguay's population.
Nevertheless the language is quite robust, thriving in
its domestic functions among a mostly non-indigenous
population.
Aurolyn Luykx

> Stan Anonby

=== message truncated ===