New research centre to save 'lost languages'

Oladipo Salami diposalami at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 18:08:13 UTC 2004

How do we look at the Hausa Language in relation to the Fulani in Nigeria?
Hausa is spoken by the politically dominant Fulani (though some of them in
power are often referrred to now as  Hausa-Fulani): the descendants of
Uthman da Fodio. I dont know if the Hausa (in great number/there might be
individuals though) learn Fulfulde.The interesting thing about the Fulani in
Nigeria is that wherever they conquered (including the Yoruba-speaking
Ilorin) they took the language of the people and even their names but would
not give away power. General Idiagbon was Fulani. His name is Yoruba and he
spoke Yoruba and Hausa.
Dipo Salami