Does language prestige correlate with community size?

Joshua Fishman joshuaafishman at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 18:20:10 UTC 2004

Most of today's European standard languages were
just utilized in L-type function by powerless
peasants and city in-migrants from the
countryside  before the commercial/industrial
revolution promoted some of them to the status of
urban elites. They were initially the powerless
majority and converted the prior H-elites who had
initially been vastly more powerful: viz
Norman-French/Latin in England and German in
Prague, Lemberg, Presburg, etc.
A typology of language shift should be complex
enough to cope with various motives, social
classes and directions of shift. Any theory based
only on self-selected examples is ipso facto
erroneous and inconclusive. Joshua A. Fishman

--- Stan & Sandy Anonby

=====