Does language prestige correlate with community size?

Stan & Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Sat Apr 3 12:52:16 UTC 2004

Thanks for your interesting examples, which help round out a typology of
language shift.  The languages you speak of were larger, less prestigious
groups, many of Ostler's examples were smaller, more prestigious groups.
I'm wondering if there are any examples of larger, more prestigious groups
shifting to smaller, less prestigious languages.  To me, the norm seems to
be vice versa.
Stan