Request for references on Implementation

tahereh ahmadipour tahereh_ahmadipour at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 07:57:53 UTC 2004

"Harold F. Schiffman" <haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:There is a first time for everything, and this is the first time I'm
asking members of this list to give me some references. I have been
working on an article recently on some issues concerning language policy
implementation, and can't find much that is said about it except to define
it. There are three articles in Cobarrubias and Fishman 1983, one by
Haugen (on corpus planning), another by Barnes (on China) and a third by
Lewis (on the USSR), but beyond this I'm stumped.

I (and others of course, too) have always held that implementation is the
"Achilles' Heel" of language policy and planning, i.e. the weakest link,
and that many failures of policy are due to poor implementation, not poor
planning (unless we include poor implementation-planning in planning).

Can anyone refer me to other specific analyses of failures of
implementation, i.e. detailed studies of how a particular language policy
failed to achieve its objectives because of failure to carry out the
implementation of it? Or, studies of exemplary implementation, which led
to great successes in the plan?

Here is the definition of implementation that I am working with,
constructed from various people's statements about it:

"Implementation in language policy consists of the measures (plans,
strategies, timetables, mechanisms) that provide the authoritative
backbone (including financial rewards and resources) to achieve the goals
of the language policy, and the motivation for the use of the language of
the policy by the people affected."

Thanks very much in advance for any help people can offer.

Hal Schiffman

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Professor of Dravidian Linguistics and Culture Director
Dept. of South Asia Studies Pedagogical Materials Project,
3624 Market Street, Box 2615 South Asia Language Resource Center

Phone: (215) 898-5825
Fax: (215) 573-2138

Email: haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu

fessor schiffman,

I have just received your message and I will be very glad if I can help in that matter. The only material that I read about it and I know that it is not exactly to the point is the article by J.Rubin under the title "Bilingual Education and Language Planning" in Chris Kennedy "language planning and language education,"(1984).London,george allen&unwin.There are some good points about poor planning.He says that evaluating language planning and there are some hints about poor implementation.

I have this article if it is not possible for you to find it I try to send it to you.One point about myself  I am a PhD student of linguistics in Isfahan university in Iran .

 I a m working on my dissertation now.It is about the nonlinguistic factors influencing the acceptance of neologisms in speech community of persian-speakers according to Cooper's diffusion of linguistic innovation model.

kindest regards

Mrs Tahereh Ahmadipour