guarani

Stan-Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Sun Apr 25 13:07:21 UTC 2004

From: Stan & Sandy Anonby
Date: 04/18/04 21:33:08
To: Aurolyn Luykx
Subject: Re: Fw: Guarani

Hi Aurolyn,

Yes, "time capsule" is probably too strong of a term - but Paraguay is
landlocked and poor, and in strictly linguistic terms, it's somewhat true,
anyway.

My colleague Bob Dooley would know more about the speech of the monolingual
Guaranis vs the bilingual Paraguayo Guaranis.

Yes, I suppose there are some identical circumstances that haven't produced
the situation of Guarani in Paraguay, and that's interesting; but there also
are similar circumstances that have produced situations like that of
Paraguayan
Guarani.  Note:

In northern Brazil, Tupinamba spread by the colonizers in a very similar way
to Guarani in the south.  Today, Tupinamba is only spoken in the Sao Gabriel
da Cachoeira area, in Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela.  This Tupinamba
became creolized, and is now known as Nhengatu or Lingua Geral.  It was the
lingua franca throughout the rest of Northern Brazil, but now only survives
in an
isolated area where the sociolinguistic ecology is somewhat similar to that
which existed in Brazil 200 years ago.  The old "time capsule" (which I'm
sure is not 100% true).  In northern Brazil today, there remain a few Indian
groups like the Wayampi and Zo'e who remained isolated until recently, like
the monolingual Guaranis in Paraguay.

Thoughout a lot of hispanophone South America, the language of catechism
taught
by the priests was Quechua, not Spanish.  So Quechua, or some variety of it,
was spread by priests to areas that were never part of the Inca Empire.
Today, Quechua survives in Santiago del Estero province in Argentina.
Santiago is
one of the most isolated, "time capsule-like" areas of the country.
Elsewhere in northern Argentina, all that remains of Quechua are the place
names.  Everyone has
switched to Spanish.  In the far north, there is a native Indian group that
speaks Quechua, too, but sociolinguistically, they would be more like what
you're calling the monolingual Guarani Indian speakers.

Sorry I took so long in responding.  I was off traveling to some border
areas near Bolivia and Venezuela.  I'm off again on Monday.

Stan