Qualitative Research Question

Saran saran at pkrisc.cc.ukm.my
Tue Dec 14 19:40:31 UTC 2004

53"

------=neXtPaRt_1102996953

Am not sure if this helps but will share my experience anyway.

The first phase of the research project on "Language planning and policy in
higher education"  which focuses on the change in medium of instruction
from Bahasa to English for science and technology, involves two hour
interviews with respective deputy vcs (academic affairs), deans of
faculties of science and technology and engineering (44 in all from all the
9 public universities).  A number of them have learnt English as a second
language and the interviews are conducted in English - they are given the
choice to respond in Bahasa or English but the majority select the
latter.  I do not aim to doctor their comments and viewpoints but will
present them as authentic data.  I feel that adjustments to the language
may adjust the meaning, flavour of the messages.

Am using N6 software to assist with the analysis - teasing out data that
supports dominant strands that have been worked out.

Best,

Saran

------=neXtPaRt_1102996953