Watch your Language!

Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth mee1 at nyu.edu
Tue Feb 10 14:51:48 UTC 2004

I confess. I am a first class mangler of my native
language, Yiddish. In fact, I recently discovered
that I may never have spoken it "properly" at all.
BUT I'm determined to keep using it.

Even politicians should be allowed to have an
interlanguage. While it is true that politicians can
be manipulative, if they are doing so in a language
other than English, right now the medium may be an
important part of the message.

On the tex-mex, spanglish question: I think this is
a different issue. Too many speakers of alternative
varieties experience rejection associated with the
language spoken by their communities.

Contact varieties of languages are not the same as
interlanguage despite the apparently pidginized
forms and borrowed vocabulary they may have. We need
tolerance and acceptance for such alternative
varieties. If we then want to encourage speakers to
add an academic variety of their heritage language
and/or a variety spoken in their family's country of
origin, bravo.

Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, Ph.D.
<MEE1 at nyu.edu>
Director of Doctoral Programs in Multilingual
Multicultural Studies
New York University,635 East Building
239 Greene St., New York, NY 10003