New article -

Wayne Wright Wayne.Wright at asu.edu
Wed Feb 18 16:30:46 UTC 2004

Several people have expressed interest in getting a copy of our recent
article--Against the Undertow: Language Minority Education Policy and
Politics in the "Age of Accountability"

It is possible to view the article for free on-line for a limited time
(up to March 31).

If interested, go to the Education Policy journal website:
http://www.sagepub.com/journal.aspx?pid=186

and click on "free access."

It is a bit of a cumbersome process, and requires a short registration
form.

If you have any difficulty, please let me know and I can help you obtain
a copy.

-Wayne

The following article was recently published in the journal, Education
Policy, (Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 142-168)

Against the Undertow: Language Minority Education Policy and Politics in
the "Age of Accountability"

Terrence G. Wiley & Wayne E. Wright

Arizona State University

Abstract

This article reviews historical and contemporary policies, ideologies,
and educational prescriptions for language-minority students. It notes
language and literacy policies historically have been used as
instruments of social control and that racism and linguistic intolerance
have often been closely linked with antecedents in the colonial and
early nationalistic periods as well as in nativists thought of the 19th
century. The article concludes that the contemporary English-only and
antibilingual education movements share features reminiscent of the
restrictionism of early periods. The article next assesses policies of
the federal and state governments in accommodating language-minority
students. Current debates over appropriate assessment of
language-minority students are backgrounded against the history of the
testing movement. Recent research on high-stakes testing is reviewed
with the conclusion that it is not improving the quality of teaching and
learning and appears to be having a negative effect for
language-minority students.

Wayne E. Wright

Researcher

Language Policy Research Unit