New article - Wiley and Wright

David Johnson davidcasselsjohnson at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:28:57 UTC 2004

Wayne,
Thanks so much for sending out this interesting article. I am currently
doing ethnographic research in Philadelphia on language planning and policy
and bilingual program development. As one might expect, an emerging theme is
how Title III of the NCLBA is changing bilingual education and the discourse
surrounding language policy and program development here (and everywhere
else). Here in Philly, there is a relatively rich history of bilingual
education that continues to this day. The school district - teachers,
principals, and district workers - is actively engaging in one-way and
two-way developmental bilingual education planning, policy, and program
development. Despite the English-Only discourse underpinning Title III,
local bilingual language planning goes on, adjusting itself (in terms of
accountability measures but NOT program type) to please the State (more than
the federal government). In some ways, it seems that NCLB (and English-only
discourse) has fomented devotion to developmental multilingual education,
and the district has used money secured through Title III entitlements to
fund one-way and two-way developmental bilingual education. There is perhaps
a disconnect between the ostensibly restrictive English-Only ideology
underpinning the top-down policy and the de facto results, both of which are
influenced by local language planning.

However, this is Philly's story. I know you have done work on high-stakes
and standardized testing and wonder if you, or anyone else on the list, has
been able to see how other school districts (in which bilingual education
has existed or is trying to exist) are dealing with this new policy. Has it
changed bilingual programs? How?

Thanks again for the article!

David
Educational Linguistics, UPenn

P.S. I must use this opportunity to promote the 2004 Annual Ethnography in
Education Research Forum held at the University of Pennsylvania. Anyone
interested in this issue enough to read this email will find many intriguing
presentations at this years conference with the theme "Ethnography as
scientifically based research: Implications for educational policy and
practice." Please see our website at http://www.gse.upenn.edu/cue/forum.php.