Bilingual labelling goes ahead in South Tyrol- but not for Ladin

Alkistis Fleischer fleischa at georgetown.edu
Wed Jan 7 02:01:04 UTC 2004

Well, there are two projects of Ladin standardization that have begun a few years ago. The Office for Ladin language planning is engaged in developing a common written language for the whole community of Dolomite Ladins. The aim of the so-called Spell project for the Ladin varieties in the Italian Dolemites (the "Servisc per la Planificazion y Elaborazion dl Lingaz Ladin") is to create a new standard variety on the basis of several representative dialects of the language (Wolfgang Wölck has written about this). The TermLeS project ("Lexical Standardisation and Terminology for Ladin and Sard") aims at standardizing modern Ladin terminology. For more info, see: http://www.spell-termles.ladinia.net/en.html

I think the fact that bilingual labeling goes ahead in South Tyrol for German, but not for Ladin is due to the demographics of the region and the status of the different languages.

The official language of the Province of Trentino is Italian; the official languages of the Province of Bolzano-Alto Adige / Bozen-Südtirol are Italian and German. Ladin is a minority language; its speakers form less than 5% of the population in the Autonomous Region of Trentine-South Tirol.

In the Autonomous Region of Trentine-South Tirol the three language groups are Italian (62%), German (31%), and Ladin (3.2%) (approximate figures from 1991 census). However, the speakers of German form the majority in the Province of Bolzano-Alto Adige / Bozen-Südtirol, comprising 69.15% of the population of the province, as compared to Italian speakers (26.47%) and Ladin speakers (4.37%) (figures from 2001 census). The percentage of German speakers in the province has actually increased since the last census.

Incidentally, the Italian state officially replaced the designation of the Autonomous Region "Trentino Alto Adige" with the designation "Trentino Alto Adige / Südtirol" in 2001.

A. Alkistis Fleischer
Ph.D. candidate in Linguistics (Sociolinguistics), Georgetown University
fleischa at georgetown.edu