use of minority languages

Stan & Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Fri Jan 9 20:15:31 UTC 2004

I wish I could be more convinced about the benefits of first language
literacy.  We put our daughter in French immersion in Canada.  She first
gained literacy in a second language.  We're under the impression that the
kids graduating from French immersion schools in English Canada are better
prepared academically.  I met a cadre of Hawaiian kids who were studying in
a Hawaiian immersion school.  Although their first language was English, we
were told they were better prepared academically than Hawaiian kids who were
educated in English.

It seems to me that one thing in common with French immersion and Hawaiian
immersion is great parents!  Seriously though, in both cases, the children
had parents who believed in a system of education.  This might be contrasted
with the rest of the parents, who didn't think too much about their
children's education, and were content to drift along with the flow.

Stan Anonby