printability and standardization

Lynn Goldstein lgoldstein at miis.edu
Mon Jan 12 00:15:34 UTC 2004

I’ve been lurking in the background reading what everyone has to say; this
email really isn’t in reply to anyone’s in particular. I agree with almost
everything that has been said and that in fact is the problem. I can see
all sides in terms of the social issues involved in language choice,
language use, and language education. Yes, some people want English
(Standard- whatever that really is) and I can understand why, in terms
what is gained. On the other hand having Standard English (or Standard
other languages) doesn’t necessarily get people what they want if they
don’t have other types of capital, so it’s just not that simple. I can
also understand wanting to redress imbalances of power, to not buy into
hegemony, so that "capital” can be gained through a variety of linguistic
means.

I also think that sociolinguists have to take into account what everyday
people believe about language and what they do as a result of these
beliefs. This is just as legitimate an area of investigation/concern, as
is what sociolinguists believe about language. I've been doing work in
this area of" folklinguistics”, particularly looking at the media in terms
of how they wrote about the Ebonics resolution and looking at voters in my
area of California in terms of how they voted on Proposition 227(the Unz
initiative), why they voted the way the did, what they knew about the
initiative and bilingual ed before they voted, and what were their sources
of their information. Through all of this I have been struck by the "gulf"
between many of the "folk" and sociolinguists. It's not my intention to
disparage either side- I believe that each side is "legitimate". I
personally don’t want to be “paternalistic”, but I would like to find ways
of sharing knowledge that might be empowering to others. One of the things
I have seen if my folklinguistic research is that in a lot of cases we do
an absolutely lousy job of talking with the "folk" about language issues
that are critical in their lives. The contrast between the emotive, value
laden language of the everyday people I saw in the research I did on
Ebonics and the neutral, value free language used by many linguists is
striking. And, what are people to think of "experts" who say ( and this is
from my data) " It's not for linguists to decide if Ebonics is a language
or a dialect". While we know what that statement" means", what do we think
everyday people make of such a statement?

I don’t have an easy answer to any of this, nor to do I think there is an
easy answer. .

Lynn Goldstein
Professor, TESOL and Applied Linguistics
The Monterey Institute of International Studies