use of minority languages

Stan & Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Mon Jan 12 10:20:11 UTC 2004

When I made the crack about being a "great parent", I was thinking in
terms of parental time and concern.  Actually, the French immersion schools
in Canada are not usually in the neighbourhoods of the well heeled, and many
of the kids are from French Canadian homes, which form a lower social class
in Canada.  We were told the kids in the Hawaiian immersion program were
largely from less wealthy, "problem" families.

You also speak of the symbolic, social, and cultural resources at the
disposal of "great parents".  Sounds like a nifty definition of a "great
parent" to me.

Stan