changing language policy and ideas about language

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 12 15:04:11 UTC 2004

One of the reasons for starting this Consortium for Language Policy and
Planning was to have some educational events, e.g. summer institutes,
where we could do some grass-roots teaching of school administrators,
legislators (or legislative aids), and policy-makers of various sorts at
the grass roots level, on issues of language policy. This was to try to
counter the megamillionaire-funded initiatives in California and elsewhere
that made it difficult to have a reasonable discussion of language policy.

It seemed to those of us who founded the group (if I may speak for more
than just myself) that linguists and others can sit in their ivory towers
and make pronouncements about what is right for people, but the world
outside of academic often doesn't trust the elitism they see and hear
coming from us.  Thus the plan for a summer institute on these issues,
which hasn't happened yet because foundations have not seen fit to give us
money.  (Maybe Ron Unz could be approached?)

I appreciate what Rachel says below--we think we have all the answers, but
the world "out there" may not agree with us; or other attitudes have to be
changed before popular ideas about language and language policy will
change.

Hal Schiffman