changing language policy and ideas about language

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 15:37:20 UTC 2004

Certainly. James Collins' article "Our Ideologies and
Theirs" makes some good points in this regard. Too
often I see language planners thinking of "language
ideologies" as those mistaken ideas held by everyday
speakers, that act as obstacles to their (the
planners') well-laid plans! I'm encouraged at seeing
more critical linguists examining planners' and
policymakers' (and linguists') own views from the
perspective of language ideologies as well (A. Jaffe's
work on Corsica comes to mind, also the excellent
article on Haitian Creole by Schieffelin & Doucet).
Aurolyn Luykx