changing language policy and ideas about language

Rachel Reynolds rrr28 at drexel.edu
Mon Jan 12 18:00:18 UTC 2004

I'll add this to the bibliography:

van den Bersselaar, Dmitri. 1997.  Creating 'Union Ibo': Missionaries and
the Igbo Language.  Africa, vol. 67, n. 2.

He explains a significant case of failure at dialect standardization
(including contrasts between missionaries perceptions of language and
locals perceptions of it) and yet how these efforts at standardization
still had an impact on processes of ethnogenesis.

Rachel