printability and standardization

Felicia Briscoe FBriscoe at utsa.edu
Mon Jan 12 19:58:36 UTC 2004

Bernard,

Thanks for letting me know about your very relevant publication.  I do so
much agree with you that we need to look at how any language policy fits
into the overall economic, political, and social structure and if our
"esoteric" linguistic knowledge is to be of benefit to them, then we need to
share it as much as possible in a form that doesn't descend into specialized
jargon.  The problem is that the mass media does such a poor job of making
this information available to the very public who are most directly affected
by langauge policies (see Santa Ana's 2002 book,  Brown Tide Rising:
Metaphors of Latinos in Contemporary American Public Discourse, for more on
how the mass media shapes discourse around particular issues).  And, I think
if we would deal directly with the practices that bring about subordination
or oppression of certain groups then language policies would become less
pressing.  But when language policies act within a political/economic
circumstances to further oppress a particular group then they need to be
changed.  What I am saying, is that I think its impossible to mandate any
particular policy without knowing the particular circumstances of a
cultural/economic/social group.  But in general, as much as possible I think
people should have easy access to knowledge (including linguistic) and also
to languages of power and of their home and communities. And I think that we
have drastically underestimated linguistic abilities of most children and in
fact their overall ability to learn.

Felecia