Messages to List

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 13 13:09:49 UTC 2004

Dear members,

The recent surge in use of this list, discussing non-standard languages,
literacy, purification etc. has been interesting but has in some cases
involved rather personal conversations between some of the members that
could perhaps better have been conducted "off-list" as it were.  That is,
instead of replying to the whole list, could these kinds of replies be
made just to the person who sent the original message?

The reason I am saying this is that every message sent involves, for me as
list owner, a large number of "error messages" (vacation messages,
full-mailbox messages, and other trivia) that have meant HUNDREDS of
deletions I must make in my own box every day.  In some cases people have
automatic forwarding to addresses that are no longer extant; when I try to
remove these spurious addresses, I discover they are not members of thie
list, but I still get error messages in my box.

Secondly, some members are experiencing overload in their mailboxes, and
have asked me to remove them from the list.  I don't want to do this, but
if they are being inconvenienced, I will have to do that.

So please, think about whether your message is intended for the entire
list, or just a few people who could be replied to individually.

Yours,

Hal Schiffman
List owner

Professor of Dravidian Linguistics and Culture                       Director
Dept. of South Asia Studies                     Pedagogical Materials Project,
3624 Market Street, Box 2615               South Asia Language Resource Center

			Email:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu