Native Nations, Native Voices and UNESCO

Gordon Bronitsky g.bronitsky at att.net
Mon Jul 19 13:36:41 UTC 2004

	Native Nations, Native Voices is the international Native language
writers festival I am producing next year.  Friday afternoon I met in
Santa Fe with several representatives from UNESCO headquarters in
Paris--the Deputy Assistant Director-General for Culture, the Chief of
the Section for Arts, Crafts and Design of the Division of Arts and
Cultural Enterprise, and the First Secretary of the US Permanent
Delegation to UNESCO for Public Affairs, Communication and Information.
  Many thanks to Tom Aageson, Director of the Museum of New Mexico
Foundation, for arranging the meeting!  We discussed Native Nations,
Native Voices.  They were quite interested and will recommend to the
appropriate UNESCO division that they fund part of the festival.  Very
encouraging!
	The Diversity & Translation and Linguistic Rights Committee of PEN
(Poets, Essayists and Novelists), an international writers
organization, has asked for more information about Native Nations,
Native Voices, as they are interested in promoting it as well.  The
Committee is based in Skopje, Macedonia.
	Meanwhile,  EtnoRadio, a  radio station in Gdansk, Poland,
specializing in ethnic music, has contacted us about developing a short
program about the festival of some of the writers reading from their
work in Native languages and English.  If you would like to know more
about the station, it plays two times every week: on Thursday (19.00 -
23.00 GMT) and on Sunday (20.00-21.00 GMT). You can listen it all over
the world from the website www.waszeradio.prv.pl
(ns3.iestate.pl:8888/listen.pls) - on Thursdays and www.pg.gda.pl - on
Sundays.  Website is www.etnoradio.prv.pl.
	I also hope to use this opportunity with EtnoRadio to promote
Indigenous music--traditional AND contemporary.	There will be a
fundraiser for Native Nations, Native Voices in Santa Fe September 18.
If you would like to attend, please let me know, and I will make sure
you are sent an invitation.
	I’ll keep you posted.

Gordon Bronitsky