Latino Parents Decry Bilingual Programs

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 20 13:28:33 UTC 2004

The kids we were working with in Tacoma were getting hooked on television,
and learning English from it, even though they were not going to regular
schools (Gypsies have historically tended to avoid literacy programs in
many cases, because of moving around a lot.)  This community was also
becoming more sedentary, so watching Sesame Street and other children's
programs a lot.  That was our competition--glitzy TV, so we couldn't
compete.

HS