Globalization and the Future of German

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 13:35:00 UTC 2004

Strange that the blurb feels the need to specify the variety of English
that threatens:

"Its position in the world is under increasing pressure
due to the growing importance of (American) English as the
language of globalization."

Seems to me that the strength of English is in its widespread use in all
continents, which gives access to a wide speaker-base to anyone who
learns English.  Huge countries like Nigeria and India are major drivers
in the dominance of English, not just processes of American aggression
and colonisation.

Anthea

*     *     *     *     *
Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk

=E
Editor: Andreas Gardt, University of Kassel
Editor: Bernd Hppauf, New York University

Hardback: ISBN: 3110179180, Pages: xii, 362, Price: Europe EURO 78.00
           Comment: approx. US$ 94.00