Star of Mysore on government circulars in minority languages

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 1 00:17:38 UTC 2004

>>From Star of Mysore, 9 May, http://www.starofmysore.com/

      Vol. 27 No. 81 Sunday, May 9, 2004

               TRANSLATION OF GOS IN MINORITY LANGUAGES IS NOT WRONG: GOVERNOR

            Mysore, May 9 (KMC&RK)- Governor Mr. T.N. Chaturvedi today
told media persons here this morning that he had not expressed any opinion
against Kannada in the wake of Government's action in withdrawing a recent
controversial order providing for issue of Government circulars in
minority languages.

            He was reacting to criticisms from Kannada activists against
his remarks over the Government decision.

            He said that language is a mode of communication, connecting
the entire nation. "I only suggested that the Government Orders be
translated into other languages as we cannot ignore the monitories also.
They too have equal rights and so, must know the aspects of
administration," said Mr. Chaturvedi and added, "those who create
controversies by making issues out of non-issue, must divert their
strength and talent towards the State's development."

            "I am not against the Kannada language. I have read Kannada
literature and have sufficient knowledge about the language," he said.

[Moderator's note: the position of State Governor in India is an appointed
one, and the appointee is often not from the state (here Karnataka)
itself. Hence Governor Chaturvedi's need to defend himself as being not
"anti-Kannada." (hs)]