Native Nations, Native Voices

Gordon Bronitsky g.bronitsky at att.net
Mon Mar 8 11:56:34 UTC 2004

I am working with the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center of Albuquerque New
Mexico to create Native Nations, Native Voices--a festival to honor
contemporary Native language writers. To honor Native language authors,
  Native language writers have been invited to participate in a
three-day festival.  Writers will read from their works in their own
languages;  National language translations will be made available to
the audience at the option of each writer.  A special effort has been
made to include and honor high school and college authors in Native
languages, for they are the future of languages.  Selected writers
represent as broad a range of languages and styles as possible.  The
festival is scheduled for summer 2005, and the
exact dates will be set soon.
Over 500 Native Nations, each with its own language and culture. These
are the Nations which were encountered by the first Europeans to enter
North America.  Yet now Native languages are under threat everywhere,
due to Euro-American educational policies, disease, and the virtual
omnipresence of English language television.  Some languages are
extinct--from Guale to Esalen, from Eyak to Timucuan.  Others are only
spoken by a handful of elderly individuals.
Yet throughout Native America, a small but growing body of writers
are giving new voice to Native languages, using their own languages to
write about and confront the world they live in, the world of the
Twenty First Century.  Often unknown outside their own communities,
such writers have much to say to all of us.
Right now, participants include
1. Greenland--Jokum Nielsen (Kalaallisut [Greenlandic])
2. Canada--Floyd Favel (Cree), Peter Irniq (Inuktitut)
3. United States--Jim Northrup (Anishnaabe [Chippewa/Ojibwe]), Eveline
Battiest Steele (Choctaw), Nia Francisco and Nora Yazzie (Navajo),
Dominik Tsosie (outstanding high school writer--Navajo), Virgil Reeder.
(Kawaikagamedzene [Laguna Pueblo]),   Frances Washburn (Lakota)
4. Hawai¹i--Kainani Kahaunaele, Larry Kimura (Hawai¹ian)
5. Saipan--Frances Sablan (Chamorro)
6.  Guam--Peter Onedera (Chamorro)
7. Mexico--Jesus Salinas Pedraza (Nyahnyu [Otomi]), Diego Méndez Guzmán
(Tzeltal Maya), Ruperta Bautista Vazquez (Tzotzil Maya),  Jun Tiburcio
(Totonac)
8.  Peru--Martin Castillo (Quechua), Felix Julca (Quechua)
9.  Brazil--Nanblá Grakan (Xokleng)
Might this be of interest?  Naturally I would be happy to provide more
information or answer any
questions you might have.
Thank you.

Yours,