Meillet, Weinreich etc.

Joshua Fishman joshuaafishman at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 21:14:23 UTC 2004

During my graduate studies at Columbia University
(1948-1953) I was a constant visitor to the home
of Drs. Max and Regina Weinreich and their sons
(Uriel and Gabriel), both of whom were close
friends of mine as a result of our joint
activities in Yiddish youth clubs. I was
particularly careful to be there on the weekly
evening which they devoted to readings from
current Yiddish literature. Max was very
interested in my sociolinguistic views. When he
gave the lecture in which he mentioned "the
difference between a language and a dialect" he
attributed his subsequently famous remarke to "a
young man in the audience". I was sure he meant
me (since I had used exactly that comparison many
times before in speaking to him), but I was
apparently mistaken, since in the published
Yiddish version of his talk Max Weinreich
described the "young man" as a newcomer to the
field of Yiddish, which could not apply to me.
I have yet to find a documented attribution of
any other possible earlier source of this apt
comparison.
Joshua A. Fishman

=====