Tamil gets Classical language status

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat May 29 14:57:57 UTC 2004

I think the reference to the "Tamil marriage gathering" is that Mr.
Karunanidhi made this announcement at a Tamil marriage gathering of some
sort (not made specific), and I don't think it's a metaphor for anything!
But I can't be sure. The story came direct from the Hindu, the premier
English-language newspaper in Tamilnadu...

HS