Hong Kong English (amendments)

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Mon Nov 1 01:13:51 UTC 2004

Anthea,

After rereading what I wrote I would like to make the following two
important amendments. When I said that the majority of Hong Kong's
foreign visitors come from wealthy East Asian countries I was referring
to non-Chinese tourists. Actually, most foreign tourists to Hong Kong
are from the Chinese mainland or Taiwan. Also, when I spoke about
immigrants from the Chinese mainland not having any command of the
English language, I should have written recent immigrants. Indeed, many
Hong Kongers' parents and grandparents originated on the mainland --
maybe even most, but I do not have accurate figures on immigration.

Hamo