Measuring human language proficiency

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Mon Nov 1 05:05:04 UTC 2004

Bernard,

Thank you for the bibliographical references. I will attempt to explore
them in some detail, as I am very interested in finding a way to
demonstrate that East Asian UEL requirements are wasteful and not
achieving their stated goals. Certainly these are very deeply felt
notions about the reality of East Asia, as I have experienced it.
Nevertheless, however well I support these notions with empirical
inference and discursive logic, they are ultimately received as opinion
that move contrary to collectively held belief that is constantly
reaffirmed by eschewing the assumptions or scientific investigation
that never seems to ask the right questions. By demonstrating that
significant 2nd language attrition is taking place among post-secondary
citizens, I believe that I can at least start the ball rolling.

When you state that "language scales have not been validated", I am not
entirely sure what you mean. For example, when the Hong Kong government
found it necessary to select a standard scale for measuring English
language proficiency among Hong Kong secondary students, they selected
their own domestically developed HKCEE English language syllabus over
the IELTS. My response was straightforward, "What is it that you want
to measure? Hong Kongers ability to communicate in English with the
outside world, or how effective is the Hong Kong educational system at
transmitting recycled HK English?"

Hamo