Bilingualism

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Mon Nov 1 16:27:04 UTC 2004

I too have come across papers claiming that language learning is
happening no slower now than before. (And I also lack a good citation).
But what I would personally be interested in knowing is if there is any
evidence that increased mobility, communication, etc., all the things
usually grouped together as "globalization", has slowed down language
loss. It seems to me that an immigrant today is more likely to be in
touch over the phone with family at home, to be able to watch TV
programming and read internet material in their mother tongue, to be
able to travel back and forth more frequently, etc. All of which would
suggest that there are more forces preventing language loss.

kerim