Limburgish is now a language!

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 22 14:48:35 UTC 2004

Members of this list:

I recently received this message with regard to a map and webpage I have
on my language policy site, depicting the transition from German to Dutch
in the Limburg region of the Netherlands. I use the map to show how there
is no clear boundary between language "on the ground" in that area, and no
respecter of political boundaries, since the transitional zone crosses
from Germany, through the Limburg area (and Limburg "dialect") in
Netherlands, and into Belgium.  But now I'm told that Limburgish is a
language, not a dialect, at least in the Netherlands: