The nature of dual-language programs - program directories

Kevin Rocap krocap at csulb.edu
Wed Oct 6 23:28:37 UTC 2004

I sent this from my non-member e-mail address so it bounced back, sorry,
here are some sources for locating Two-Way programs...

Dear Lynn et al,

Just FYI, I worked with the California Department of Ed and a web
programmer to design an online directory of Two-Way programs in
California, many of which are not English/Spanish.  The directory can be
accessed here:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/el/ip/ap/directory.asp

If you search by language, be aware that you should specify Cantonese or
Mandarin and not simply search on "Chinese".  I think there are
Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean Two-Way programs curently in California,
aside from the preponderance of Spanish/English Two-Way programs.  Now
there are bilingual or even dual language programs, I believe, in other
languages but they have to follow the Two-Way model to be listed in this
Two-Way Directory.

Additionally, CAL, as someone may have already mentioned, has a number
of Two-Way resources including an online directory of schools nationally
(though it is a decent directory; I'm not sure how often it is updated;
the California directory is updated routinely each year).  Look for the
Two-Way information at CAL, here:

http://www.cal.org/twi/

In Peace,
K.