The nature of dual-language programs

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Sun Oct 10 03:09:55 UTC 2004

Hi everyone!

Now that we have a better grasp of terminology I will pose my question
again, but this time with the true motivation of having asked the
first. Before I begin, however, I would like to thank everyone for
their input up to this point.

In Hong Kong mixed-coding is a common phenomenon among both students
and teachers in the classroom. As a result, what is often learned is
poor quality English with a heavy dose of Chinese grammar, and better
quality Chinese with gaping holes in science and technology that are
filled with English terminology. This phenomenon is not universal as
there exists a large variety of learning methodologies in Hong Kong  --
simply one's access to the alternatives is often limited by various
constraints, such as native tongue, ability to pay and fund, etc.

Now to the notion of dual-language systems which is not much of an
issue in Hong Kong, but did spark my interest as I was reading along.
Although teachers in a dual-language system can control their own
speech habits, and those of their students when they are made public,
what control have teachers over what students do while among
themselves? With equal numbers of students of each language in each
class does their not exist an open invitation for a strong dose of
mixed-coding?

As good proficiency in one language is an important skill for upward
mobility, do not dual language programs erase with one hand what they
write with the other -- namely, a decrease in social friction in local
communities, where everyone knows everyone, but an increase in friction
in society-at-large, where social rank takes on increasing importance.

Sincerely,

R. A. Stegemann
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349