The nature of dual-language programs

David Johnson davidcasselsjohnson at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:43:01 UTC 2004

In my experience in dual language education (90/10, 80/20, 50/50 one and
two-way immersion), RA is right that there is opportunity for
code-switching, but it seems to be done for one of the reasons that Dr.
Eisenstein describes - solidarity. My definitions of "dual language" seem to
align fairly consistently with Dr. Eisenstein's but I am also on the East
Coast (Philadelphia). In her 1991 article, "Extending enrichment bilingual
education...", (written in part because of a frustration with a lack fo
clear bi-ed definitions), Nancy Hornberger discusses bilingual education in
terms of goals or orientations and program types which is another good
resource.

In two way immersion classrooms, there are supposed to be native speakers of
English and native speakers of some other language (in Philly, that's
Spanish, Chinese, Khmer, Russian, and German); therefore, the students and
the teacher can serve as models for both languages. In my experience in a
1st grade two way immersion dual-language classroom, it is not true that the
students "would have to compete with the attention of each student's peer
group which would likely consist of monolingual cores with some bilingual
fluency and bilingual buffer groups with good fluency in each language."
Certainly, students sometimes compete for attention and the levels of
bilingualism vary, but a vast majority of the children have some level of
bilingual competence and many are already fairly competent in both
languages. I think, therefore, that when you add child creativity - which
engenders things like code-switching - what you get is the opportunity for
enriched linguistic development and content knowledge in 2 languages. Dr.
Eisenstein mentioned Collier's research (with Thomas for example) which
suggests that students that have been educated in dual language classrooms
get better test scores in/on ENGLISH than their native English-speaking
peers. Now, we can debate the validity of such test scores, but I think it's
reasonable to say that dual-language education, when done well, provides a
forum for learning linguistic and content knowledge in 2 languages, for
students with at least 2 different native languages (in a two-way program),
and the research suggests that students enrolled in one-way and two-way dual
language programs (from 1st to 11th grade) do better on tests of reading and
math in ENGLISH than those in transitional bilingual or ESL programs. As
Collier and Thomas argue (1997/2001), the more native language instruction
the students receive, the better their test scores in ENGLISH are at the end
of the road.

Therefore, I think the social ramifications are just what those who advocate
dual language education are thinking about since students can maintain their
native languages while developing linguistic and academic competence in
another language. I would emphasize, also, that in the U.S. these programs
sometimes provide the opportunity for native English speakers to become
bilingual, a skill which certainly has positive social ramifications.

I would add Lindholm-Leary's book "Dual Language Education" and Rebecca
Field's new book "Building on community bilingualism" as good resources for
studying dual language education and language planning and policy.
David