The nature of dual-language programs

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Thu Oct 14 12:47:39 UTC 2004

Hi everyone!

I would like to thank both David and Kevin, and of course Miriam, and
everyone else for providing me with so much insight into dual-language
programs. Certainly some of my skepticism toward these programs has
been removed. Unfortunately, one could have argued more convincingly.
So, if there is still interest in this discussion and we have not yet
wandered from language policy and planning per se, then I would like to
offer the following additional comments:

1) Just because students perform better on average does not mean that
the program is working. One must also examine the variance of
performance across children in each program. If you recall, I suggested
the creation of three groups in each dual-language setting: a core
group for native speakers of each language, and a buffer group that
communicates between them. Evidence for the existence of these groups
could be revealed in a close examination of the variances in test
results. There might, in fact, be multiple core and buffer groups.

2) My comment with regard to competition was directed more toward those
who serve as role models than the children themselves. I do not want to
dwell on this point too much, because it is the existence of the
competition and not the perspective with which it is viewed that is
most important. Besides, the children appear (based upon what has been
said) just as capable of acting as role models for each other as are
their appointed mentors.

3) What I am happy to learn and makes good sense, is that at least some
of the children are performing better -- enough anyway to make  average
test scores high enough to outperform monolingual native speakers. This
suggests that the awareness of one's own native tongue is enhanced by
the presence of another language. Certainly this confirms my own
personal experience with language and what many language experts have
been saying all along about the benefits of studying a second language.
What is key here, of course, is the presence of native speakers as role
models.

Finally, I thought you might enjoy the following two quotes:

  "You cannot solve a problem unless you diagnose the problem, and we
weren't diagnosing problems and therefore just kids were being shuffled
through the school. And guess who would get shuffled through? Children
whose parents wouldn't speak English as a first language just moved
through. Many inner-city kids just moved through. We've stopped that
practice now by measuring early, and when we find a problem, we spend
extra money to correct it."

"He talked about the unemployed. Absolutely, we've got to make sure
they get educated. He talked about children whose parents don't speak
English as a first language. Absolutely, we've got to make sure they
get educated. And that's what the No Child Left Behind Act does."

Both were taken from the transcripts of the 3rd round of this year's
presidential debates. Can you guess who made each statement? Hint:
Neither was made by Bob Schieffer.

R. A. Stegemann
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/hklna/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349