The nature of dual-language programs

hsmr at gol.com hsmr at gol.com
Thu Oct 14 16:54:11 UTC 2004

Hi everyone!

It appears that the discussion of dual language programs has begun to
take hold.

KEVIN: If we replace the word group with cluster, would it be
theoretically and empirically more appealing? This was the notion that
I was getting at when I referred to the existence of multiple core and
buffer groups. In short, the divisions would be more quantitative than
qualitative in nature, but the attributes that bring about the
quantitative differences would indeed be qualitative. In a similar vein
I see these clusters as arising both naturally and spontaneously in the
absence of intervention on the part of guiding role models. No, I do
not have any references for what I am propounding --  only many years
of experience living, working, and generally finding my way through
various bilingual and multi-lingual communities.

Thus, when I suggest a presence of core and buffer clusters, I am
thinking about more than just language. I am happy to learn that at
least one linguist has taken it upon himself to disaggregate the data
along the lines that I suggested in my previous post. The name
Guadaluope Valdes will stay with me. By the way, I find your
explanation of what you have labeled a Vygotsky zone or continuum quite
appealing, as people tend to trade better among equals.

Many, certainly not everyone, involved in the study and transmission of
language -- especially those that advocate universal English language
requirements -- demonstrate a tendency toward separating language and
culture, when in fact they are often very closely tied. Alternatively,
they admit that the two are closely tied, and try -- at least in my
mind often erroneously -- to bridge the gap through imported
literature.

To summarize, yes there must be more than just bilingualism at play in
the dual-language setting, and its effects are likely substantial.

Hamo

R. A. Stegemann
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/hklna/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349