First-language attrition

Stan-Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Tue Oct 26 16:57:41 UTC 2004

Hi!

Maybe there's a world continuum. Some areas of the world are more friendly to minority languages, others are less friendly. I'd have to agree with you, that Brazil is not typical. I'd say it's about the most hostile country I've ever seen with regard to minority languages.

I think there probably various reasons why this is the case. One of them is that Brazilians are less prejudice, and more inclusive than most people. It is not difficult for an immigrant or for an indigenous person to be welcomed into mainstream Brazilian society. It is harder for someone to be thought of as "real" American, Canadian, or probably Kongo. So you don't have very strong external forces preventing integration.

Another reason is the strength of Portuguese, which is spoken by probably 98% of the population.

The fact that the large majority of Brazilians live in cities is also problematic for minority languages. Portuguese is the strongest in cities, and the speakers of minority languages who immigrate to the urban areas face very strong forces of assimmilation.

I'm stepping out on a limb here, but maybe the countries which are least hostile to minority languages are the African countries. The countries on the other end of the continuum might be Congo or Ethiopia.

If this were the case, there are probably several reasons. Maybe the strong identification with their tribal groups has something to do with it. In Brazil, people feel strongly Brazilian, and Portuguese is a part of that. Maybe in Congo, people feel strongly that they are members of a certain tribe; and don't feel that strong of a Congolese identity.

Another reason is that there is no super language, spoken by 98% of the population. So the rival languages in Congo, for instance, aren't nearly as strong as Portuguese is in Brazil.

The fact the Africa is primarily rural would also help preserve the languages. In their tribal areas, the minority languages don't face as much competition as they would in the city.

If this continuum exists, I wonder what countries would be in the middle?

Stan Anonby