Native Language Classes Aim to Ease Transition to English

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 16:00:26 UTC 2004

Hi Stan,
it's totally impossible to say, since there's no good
data from further back than about 30 years ago, but my
sense would be that the % is definitely increasing,
largely as a result of the rapidly growing access of
"the masses" to formal education (which is often
conducted in a language other than the L1 of the
students).
Aurolyn

--- Stan-Sandy Anonby <stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org>

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/metro_southwest_news/109818
> [...]
> > the rest of the time, they return to their regular
> classes taught in English.
> >
> > But opponents say the language of instruction
> ought to be English, and they
> > point to other research.
> >
> > A 1986 study in The Journal of Law and Education,
> for instance, found that
> > most "transitional bilingual education" programs
> were no different from or
> > worse than techniques such as submersion, in which
> the learner is exposed
> > mostly or entirely to the new language.
> >
> > And many native language programs fail to take
> advantage of the best time for
> > someone to learn a new language: when they're
> young, said Douglas Besharov, a
> > scholar with the American Enterprise Institute and
> a professor at the
> > University of Maryland, College Park. "It is tons
> easier to learn a language
> > if you're learning it when you're young."
> >
> > Once a school has a bilingual class, however, "The
> institutional forces are to
> > keep these classes full," he said, adding that
> many children have trouble
> > getting out of the classes even when they don't
> need the help. That leads to a
> > perpetuation of the classes even when it's not in
> the students' best
> > interests -- for which Besharov faults many of the
> people who run the
> > programs.
> >
> > "I think the bilingual teachers have a vested
> interest in kids staying in
> > bilingual programs for the longest time possible,"
> Besharov said. "I think it
> > is such a conflict of interest for them."
> >
> > The underprivileged, who are among those who most
> rely on public schools, also
> > are among those who most need English-language
> education, said Jim Boulet Jr.,
> > executive director of the nonprofit group English
> First. "They're counting on
> > instruction on the basics; they're counting on
> their children learning
> > English."
> >
> > He scoffs at the idea that students whose classes
> are in Spanish will still be
> > immersed in English outside of school. "I never
> thought the day would come
> > that educators would argue that students would be
> better off picking up
> > English on the street corner, which is what that
> argument says," Boulet said.
> >
> > But for Flor Vidal, a former teacher in Peru who
> volunteers at Bridgeport
> > Elementary, the benefits of the Spanish-language
> classes are easy to see. When
> > the children learn how to read in Spanish, they
> get a better grounding in
> > literacy and language, she said, and they
> understand the basics before they
> > transfer those skills to a new language. It's also
> easier for them to
> > translate into English when they know their first
> language better, she said.
> >
> > Elsa Palza-Rink, a Bridgeport teacher, said the
> classes also give students a
> > chance to learn with others who face some of the
=== message truncated ===