MP-Lingualism - It's not what you think.

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 16:54:54 UTC 2004

Hamo,
I'm sure you'll get several responses to this one...

> Reluctant to employ the word bilingualism in any
> context that does not  include equal ability in two
or more languages...

Then you'll end up with a VERY small number of people
you could consider "bilinguals"! I myself (a native
English speaker) have been fluent in Spanish for about
15 years, am married to a non-English speaker, and
carried out most of my professional and social life in
Spanish for close to a decade, and yet I certainly
wouldn't consider that I have equal ability in the two
languages. Am I bilingual? You bet.

What's the usefulness of drawing such a narrow
definition of bilingualism, one that would not apply
to most people who do in fact use 2 languages to
communicate? Certainly determining degrees of fluency
can be analytically useful, but I don't see the sense
of using such determinations to build a conceptual
fence between the "true" bilinguals and all those who
supposedly can't claim such a designation.

> Human beings are creatures of habit, and in the
> absence of habit there is anarchy. Language is a
part of that habit, and if the habit is not
developed, maintained and well understood by most, it
becomes useless
> as a means of healthy social interaction.

I totally disagree with the idea that
less-than-complete fluency in the L2 is "useless", and
I think most L2 speakers would too. Difficult, shaky,
or negotiated understandings are not perfect of
course, but they are not the same as 0% understanding.
And who's to say what constitutes "healthy social
interaction"? I don't think creating (or assuming)
insurmountable communicative barriers between people
who don't share native-level fluency in a common
language would do much to promote healthy social
interaction. I've had lots of pleasant and useful
social interactions with patient interlocutors who had
to make quite an effort to understand me (and vice
versa). And it certainly didn't feel "unhealthy."
Aurolyn